If you are worried about the impact of tool theft on your business, you can sign the petition by visiting https://t.co/ydVFCjvmo0.
At NICEIC Insurance, we specialise in insurance for tradespeople so we truly understand the impact tools theft can have – even though our protection includes tools cover, we can’t take away the disruption that comes with having to source replacements.
That’s why we’re trying to do our bit by promoting the #noVANber campaign across our social media accounts.
At the same time, we thought it worth sharing some simple advice from our insurance partner Covéa Insurance, to help you keep your tools safe from thieves.
So, here are 10 steps you can take to keep your tools secure:
- Know the seasons – during winter as the clocks change and days get shorter there is an increased likelihood of theft.
- Make security measures more visible – use bigger locks, multiple locks, and complicated locks. Thieves usually want quick and easy access.
- Try to take tools out of your van as much as possible when left unattended. After all, 50% of all claims from NICEIC Insurance customers relate to tools theft, and 95% of these involve theft from unattended vehicles*.
- Use alarms in addition to locks.
- Mark your tools so they are easily identifiable – e.g. engrave with a code. This helps with the identification of your stolen item.
- Keep a record of tool serial numbers.
- Install trackers in your van.
- Lock your most valuable tools away separately.
- Use the right branding and signage on the vehicle – consider whether your branding is advertising the value of the tools inside.
- Try to park with prevention in mind for instance with sliding or rear doors against walls to hinder access – or at least clearly visible.
*Claims from July 2017 to October 2018 submitted to Covéa Insurance.