Skip to main content

Brexit - everything you need to know about Green* Cards

December 02, 2020

From 1 January 2021, you will need a Green Card if you are driving your vehicle in Europe

1. What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is a physical document that acts as evidence of compulsory motor insurance required by the law of the EEA country in which travel will take place.

They are not “cards” in the strict sense – they are paper documents (digital copies are not currently accepted)  

*Black and White is the new Green

Insurers are now able to issue Green Cards that are in black ink on white paper and send them directly to policyholders by e-mail, who can later print them in black ink on white paper.

Issuing Green Cards in black ink on green paper is still permitted, but all countries must recognise black on white Green Cards from visiting motorists.

2. Who needs a Green Card?

From 1 January 2021, a Green Card is required for each vehicle (including fleet/commercial vehicles) from the UK travelling in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.  For instance, you will require a Green Card if you are driving from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland.

This is true even if your motor policy has a foreign use extension.

It applies to both personal and commercial use of vehicles. If you are towing a trailer or caravan you will need a separate Green Card for the trailer or caravan.

3. What if my policy renews with a different insurer whilst I am travelling abroad?

If you think you may be driving your vehicle in one of the countries listed above, after 31 December 2020, and your policy renews whilst you are abroad; you will need to obtain a Green Card for both policies (including, if there are different insurers, one from each insurer) before you leave.

4. How do I obtain a Green Card?

Please contact your Broker / motor insurer(s) or visit their website for information on how they plan to issue Green Cards.  You should allow sufficient time for an insurer to process your request – we suggest contacting them at least 6 weeks ahead of your planned travel.

5. Will there be a charge for issuing a Green Card?

Insurers may make a charge for issuing a Green Card.  This will vary from insurer to insurer.

6. What happens if I travel without a Green Card?

From 1 January 2021, you may be breaking the law by driving your vehicle in Europe if you do not have a Green Card.  If drivers do not carry a Green Card their vehicle could be seized, they could face a fine and/or the risk of prosecution.

How can we help?

Please get in touch with customer services if you have any questions or require guidance on how to obtain a Green Card.

Get the right cover at the right price

Get a quote