Essential protection for you and your business
At NICEIC insurance services, we arrange essential insurance designed for tradesmen and tradeswomen, including: electrical contractors, renewable energy installers, plumbers, heat and gas engineers and all kinds of other contractors.
We work with a leading specialist insurer and have negotiated exclusive high quality insurance at a competitive price – insurance that's comprehensive, flexible and affordable.
Our key features and benefits
Corporate manslaughter cover up to £1 million
Cover for up to 20 manual workers
Efficacy cover of £100,000
Employers liability cover for temporary employees, 100 man-day limit cover up to £10 million
Loss of customer keys cover up to £50,000
Professional indemnity cover for up to £1 mil, £2 mil or £5 mil (collateral warranties added as standard)
Public liability cover – £1 mil, £2 mil, £5 mil or £10 mil limits available
Standard height limit 20m, and depth restriction 3m
Up to five years no claims bonus.
Plus optional cover if required for:
Contract works – with £100,000, £250,000, and £500,000 limits
Cover for tools – from £1,500 to £5,000 per person
Goods in transit
Hired plant up to £50,000
Increased efficacy cover up to £1 million
Own plant up to £50,000
Personal accident and short-term income protection
Property all risks
And, the best bit...
Registered NICEIC contractors get 10% off the cost of their insurance!
Which contractors insurance do you need?
We understand the daily risks you face as an electrical contractor. We're committed to protecting you and your business should the unthinkable happen.
If you run your business from commercial premises – an office, a shop, a workshop, or other commercial property – you need the right insurance to protect your bricks and mortar and keep doors open.
The Government's plan to ban sales of new petrol and diesel cars by 2035 has created opportunities to install Electric Vehicle Charging Points (EVCPs) throughout the UK. But as an electrical contractor responding to these opportunities, you need the appropriate EVCP insurance cover to protect against risks.
We understand that your van or commercial vehicle is often essential to running your business. You need the right insurance in place to get back on the road quickly if an incident involving your vehicle should happen.
Would you be able to cover your monthly bills if you suffered a serious accident or were unable to work due to injury or illness?
With personal accident and short term income protection insurance, you will receive a lump sum or help to replace your monthly income for up to twelve months if the worst should happen.
As a plumbing, heating or gas engineer, we understand the daily risks you face. If your work involves electrical jobs, you can access our exclusive, competitive and comprehensive electrical contractors insurance to protect yourself and your livelihood against these risks. Working with a leading specialist insurer, we have negotiated high quality insurance at a competitive price for you.
As a renewable energy installer, we understand the risks you face. Unforeseen incidents and accidents can put your livelihood at risk – potentially leaving you out of pocket or unable to carry out your work. You need to protect yourself and your business against these risks with renewable energy installers insurance. Working with a leading specialist insurer, we have negotiated high quality insurance at a competitive price for you.
What’s covered in our NICEIC insurance policies?
At NICEIC Insurance services, we arrange tailored insurance policies built especially for contractors like you, to meet the needs of your NICEIC registration. We understand the daily risks you face and we're committed to protecting you and your business should the unthinkable happen.
We’re always transparent about what’s included in our insurance cover and we’re on hand to guide you through your options if you’re unsure about what you need. We have a team of dedicated insurance experts who’ll work with you to fully understand your business and your requirements.
Please note this list is not exhaustive – refer to your policy documents for full details.
- Public liability cover – your NICEIC registration requires you to have a minimum of £2 million. This will protect you should you receive a claim for injury or damage to your customer’s property.
- Professional indemnity standard cover of £1 million, but can be increased up to £5 million (collateral warranties added as standard). If you are carrying out periodic inspections and issuing EICRs, your NICEIC registration requires you to have cover of a minimum of £250,000. This cover will protect you for any errors or omissions you make.
- Employers liability – a legal requirement if you employ staff, even on a contract basis. This will protect you if an employee becomes ill or is injured as a result of their work.
- Efficacy or ‘failure to perform’ cover will protect you should a product or service fail to perform its intended function.
- Corporate manslaughter – if someone dies as a result of a failure by your business to provide adequate duty of care, you could face an unlimited fine. We can cover up to £10 million (depending on your trade).
- Electrical vehicle charging installation insurance included as standard, at no extra cost.
- Loss of customer keys cover up to £50,000.
- Standard height limit 20m, and depth restriction 3m.
- Up to five years no claims bonus.
Plus optional cover if required for:
- Legal expenses - legal costs in settling or defending a claim, solicitor’s fees and other expenses relating to official enquiries or coroner’s inquest.
- Personal accident and short-term income protection - we're not just talking about injuries at work – a back injury on the golf course, a DIY incident at home, or a nasty illness like pneumonia can all be covered.
- Contract works – cover designed to protect work that is already underway if it is damaged by an insured event like a fire, flood, storm, vandalism or theft.
- Tools – cover for your tools if they are lost, damaged or stolen. Protection starts from £1,500 to £10,000 per claim.
- Goods in transit – protection if your materials are lost, stolen or damaged when in transit.
- Hired and own plant – a policy that covers plant machinery in case of damage, loss or theft. Cover is up to £50,000.
- Increased efficacy cover up to £1 million.
- Property – insurance for your business premises.
FREE insurance Health check
Why choose us for your NICEIC insurance?
Don't just take our word for it. The Feefo reviews from contractors speak for themselves. Some of the five-star reviews talk about how we’ve saved them money, others talk about their improved benefits. Some of our clients simply appreciated the fast and simple approach to buying their insurance*.
That's why we've been awarded the Feefo 2023 Gold Trusted Service Award for excellence in customer service throughout 2022.
NICEIC Insurance services is part of Marsh, the world’s leading insurance broker and risk adviser.* Marsh operates in over 130 counties and has more than 45,000 global experts – so you really are in safe hands. We’re confident we have the experience and expertise to help our business insurance customers obtain the cover they’re after, at the right price.
Working with us gives you easy access to a range of UK based insurers and specialist insurance providers, so you’ll have a range of options to choose from. You’ll get advice and support to help make sure you select the level of protection you need. What’s more, should the worst happen and you need to claim, you’ll get a dedicated claims advocacy service should you need it.
Thank you for your help and we really appreciate your efforts and support in getting the policy sorted. It was good to be able to speak to the same person every time and we felt you really understood our needs.From NICEIC Customer
Frequently asked questions
That depends on whether you use 'labour-only' or what's known as 'Bona Fide' sub-contractors. Labour only sub-contractors work under your direction and typically use tools and materials you provide ‒ and are paid by you or through an employment agency. Bona Fide sub-contractors, on the other hand, are paid by the main contractor but work under their own direction and provide their materials and tools.
You'll need employers liability insurance if you use labour-only sub-contractors – but Bona Fide sub-contractors are not treated as employees for insurance purposes.
There are some exceptions, but if your business has at least one employee, then the likelihood is you’ll need employers liability insurance. Remember too that temporary workers, "labour-only" sub-contractors, volunteers and people doing work experience all count as employees for the purposes of insurance. The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 1998 made employers liability insurance cover of at least £5 million compulsory for any individual or company with employees.
The exceptions include: unincorporated family businesses, however if the family business is incorporated as a limited company, it will need to be covered by employers liability insurance.
You are also exempt if you are the director of a limited company and the sole employee, and own 50% or more of the issued share capital.
How much insurance cover you need to protect your business and your livelihood depends on the nature of your business, but also your attitude to risk. First of all, if you employ people, employers liability insurance with a limit of at least £5 million is a legal requirement. Equally, public liability insurance of at least £2 million is also a condition of NICEIC certification.
Professional indemnity insurance is a requirement for NICEIC scheme(s) where the scope of work undertaken includes periodic inspection and testing. This will cover the cost of legal fees and compensation if a client alleges a failure in your professional advice.
All these liability covers are essentially designed to help with legal fees and compensation if a client, employee or member of the public takes legal action against you related to your work. On top of that, if you use a business vehicle, insurance is compulsory, and you may also want to consider insurance for premises, tools, contract works and personal covers like income protection and personal accident. The good news is that the insurance you need is readily available from NICEIC Insurance services– with flexible, competitively priced policies that can be tailored to your needs.